Saturday, January 5, 2013

Expectations




I'm thinking they have an internal clock. The chocolate ones.  It's like they know when the master will arrive at home (Yes, the master would be me, or so they let me think!) 
 
The storm door is the place they sit, they watch, they wait.  Nay likes to sit for hours.  When the neighbors walk by with their own dog she barks like she's saying "I'm gonna get my shotgun if you don't get off my property!" but she can't do a thing since the storm door is locked.  She can only bark behind the glass.
 
They expect entertainment at the door.  For the world to come to them.  They expect to see the postman approach, the neighbor kids to run by, the dogs to run by with their owners.  They expect me to pull up in the driveway.  They expect.
 
And sitting at the door of 2013 I expect.  We have our list of expectations, "This is going to be a good year, the year of {fill in the blank}."
 
I will lose "x" pounds.  I will eat healthier.  I will read the Bible through.  I will get up earlier every day.  I will go to bed earlier.  I will work less and live more.  I will keep a journal.  I will pray more.  I will play more. 
 
I dont' make resolutions because I end up putting my expectations in myself.  I have to live one day at a time with the challenges of that day.  My challenges may be the same each day...but my circumstances are not the same each day and what I might need from God today may be different than what I need tomorrow.
 
Psalm 62:5 says "My soul, wait you only upon God; for my expectation is from him."
 
So I change my expectations.....it is no longer a list that begins with "I" but a list that begins with "He".  What will He have for me in 2013? 
 
I don't want to sit at the glass door looking out expecting what this world can give me, but I want to expect what an omnipotent, eternal God can give me.  Whether through quiet or through storms, what can I expect from God?  No matter...the glorious part of all is not the EXPECTING but the WHO we expect from.
 
Debbie
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

Beautiful post. My hope is in God.