Monday, October 8, 2012

Daffy

 
As a kid I always wanted a pet. We had Chibi but the time with her was very short-lived since I was allergic to her. One morning I woke up and she was gone. Dad had taken her to a place where she could live out in the country and run wild and free. If you knew Chibi running wild and free was what she did, even if it was in our subdivision.

Being a military brat, having pets is difficult. If Dad gets orders to go overseas then transporting your pet can be difficult. You have to quarantine for a time and go through paperwork, so after Chibi having a pet was pretty much out of the question. I had gotten it in my mind though that if could find a pet that could be caged my parents would allow it. A mouse was cute but it was still a mouse. A bunny, well that was possible. This began my obsession with getting a bunny rabbit. It never happened but I have a lot of bunny rabbit stuffed animals from those days.

And so when Daffy entered our world everything changed. My brother brought her to my parent’s house (now retired from the Marines) and the family was never the same again. Ten years later our family now has a total of four dogs and two cats and none of us live on a farm. We all fell in love with Daffy, how can you not? She is practically human.

One puppy affected a whole bunch of other puppies. I now have Nay Nay and Zeke. I can’t help but ask myself if I am the kind of Christian that makes other want to be around other Christians. Sure the world isn’t accustomed to the kind of lifestyle we may choose to live, but is it possible that my “cup overflowing” attracts them to the truth of Christ?

It’s hard sometimes…overflowing. It’s hard to reflect the mind of Christ when your co-worker is negative and angry and somehow you get the side effects of it. It’s hard when you are hurt and torn up about a trial in your life and you insist you have joy, but when you lay your head on your pillow at night you think it’s waning away. I can bring on a smart remark if I want to, but do I overflow and display the love of Christ so that those around me would respect Christ that I claim to love? I hope so. I am reminded that as I am loved by Christ, so I must show His love to others.

Debbie

No comments: