Sunday, November 18, 2012

Obsessions




Zeke does not sleep ALL THE TIME. But, when Zeke settles in it is always with me. I know I've said this before but he is "MY Dog". I have heard references to that in other families but never understood it with Nay. Nay is not choosy with her affections, I truly believe she loves Steve and I equally and will basically just go wherever it suits her. It might be because she is a rescue, but it's probably more because she is a female.

When I visit with my parents Zeke will go out to play and romp around the yard with the other dogs, but just give it time...he will come to check on me, make sure I'm still around. If I am downstairs he will run to the room...look at me...and satisfied he will run back to the other dogs. When I get settled in so does Zeke. Being on the furniture is Jeff's "no-no" (Jeff is Zeke's even better version of Cesar Millan.) Jeff told us no furniture for Zeke, but I've failed in that matter. (Don't worry Jeff, those things you've imprinted in Zeke is still there, he's still a well-behaved dog!) When I am settled in he is settled in right beside me, on top of me, ALL OVER ME!


I told mom recently that I would be home for the holidays since Steve's parents are coming for a visit to Indiana. (They usually watch Zeke when we are away). My mom's statement was "that's good, I was worried. I'm not sure Zeke can handle being separated from you." Of course we both know that's not true, but it sure seems like it at times.

Oh how I need to seek my own Master the way Zeke does. Almost obsessively. I'm so thankful Zeke doesn't have anxiety when I leave but I know he misses me. Steve has found him in "my spot" when gone for a weekend. Waiting.
Interesting enough it is my God who loved me first and it is my God who waits for me. I get distracted in life and neglect Him. If I could just get obsessive about seeking God. If I could get to where I just can't get enough!!! We feed ourselves with the things of God, looking for satisfaction and for what we need to get by...and often times we don't seek again until we are starving and dry. If I sought God with the same obsession and intensity Zeke seeks me....if I let it consume my thoughts and my days then I would find myself fulfilled. Found wanting nothing.

Psalms 23:1 says "The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want." It is the picture of an animal, following its master and its master fulfilling its needs. If He is my shepherd, I am satisfied.

No comments: