Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Words that Matter

(06/14/2010) Expressing yourself. I am not sure that words are always adequate but yet we use words to describe how we feel. My husband and I have an ongoing joke. Instead of saying “You look great” we’ll say things like “You look like a champion” we might say something like “you look like a gold medalist” or “you look like a Stanley Cup Winner”. A play on words I guess you would say.


Sometimes words are not enough. Sometimes we express ourselves through emotional outbursts….laughter, tears, screaming. Sometimes our emotions are so overwhelming that all we can do is be silent.

I often wonder what it is to get in the mind of my chocolate labs. The curiosity of Zeke and the maturity of Naomi would give such interesting life views. I know I would realize the importance of walking them, playing with them, feeding them, loving them. Though I cannot get in their minds, though they cannot express this to me with words, I still know what they need.

Words are used to communicate effectively to others what needs to be communicated. Some people are gifted with saying just the right thing at the right time, they write Hallmark Cards. Some people are able to couple the gift of speaking with the gift of compassion, offering to someone hurting, just the right thing to sooth the hurting heart. Then there are those whose “gift of gab” lays out a place of danger to themselves and to others. Not thinking before they speak, gossiping about others, repeating things that should not be repeated.

It is amazing how words can be used to sooth or to burn, to comfort or to hurt, to help or to cause grief. I remember in high school my English teacher always talked about “filler” words. Words used in a report just to fill the blank space. In Bible College, I remember pondering on “vain” words. Words that was empty and meaningless.

I have learned in my short life how important it is to watch your words, to choose carefully your conversation. With today’s technology of blogs and facebook updates, it is even more important as our lives are openly advertised to the world.

As I write this I remember words I regret, I also recall the words that have been repeated about me or my family; the hurt and the pains that have been caused by the unruly tongue. I also remember the words of comfort and encouragement that have been so often given to me in days that seemed dark. I am thankful for those who have chosen their words so carefully.

I hope that I can make my words matter…..James 3

No comments: