Saturday, April 17, 2010

DOG-TIRED


There's a way we say "TIRED" in our house when we are really tired. We say it will two syllables instead of one. It is said with the slight east Tennessee accent that my husband has, it is "Tie-urd".
Tonight we just got back from dinner at mom and dad's. We took Zeke and Naomi to play with Daffy and Peyton. That is always an adventure. As I type this Zeke is laying across my lap, absolutely exhausted. Nay is somewhere in the house, a corner I assume, more than likely sleeping. I would say they are dog-tired.
They spend most of their time running in the yard, wrestling, playing, barking, and then of course, begging. Generally they don't beg for food but they know good food when they smell it.
Sometimes in life we spent so much time in life running around that we forget to stop and take a break and rest. Rest is often what we need to get through the week, the situation, the day. My father tells this illustration of when he was in the Marines, serving in the First Gulf War known as Desert Storm. As he explains Psalm 23, he talks about how throughout the war he cannot remember a night where the Lord did not give him a peaceful rest. Though the place was dangerous, the times difficult, away from family, and literally a place of war...God gave him rest.
I can think of no better illustration than that. As Zeke has now found himself curled up at the end of the couch, I believe he is getting real rest. I know that I have heard that God grants grace in time of need and it is so true, but people often forget to add that along with GRACE is REST. A rest that you can wake up from refreshed and at peace. Along with REST is JOY. Along with JOY is LAUGHTER. Along with LAUGHTER is LOVE. Along with LOVE is PEACE and many, many more blessings God has in store.



No comments: