Tuesday, April 20, 2010

God in the Trees

I wish I had some profound story to tell of the simple life of labs but today it seems that I cannot. I sat on my front porch today, remembering to 'be still'...and to 'know God'. I sat in silence, in the white rocker where I often sit and listen to music as I consume the latest book or novel I may be reading. I sat there....without music....without books....looking for God in the trees.

You see, I have always found great peace in the power of God when looking at nature. There is a beautiful tree in our neighbor's yard that has flowered and now transforming into leaves. I should see God's power, I should see His presence, but today, I could not see God in the trees.

I saw the wind blow...and I thought, God, are you showing me yourself in the wind? We all know the old example of God being like the wind. Today, the wind was not enough. So, I closed my eyes in the black silence and asked God to reveal Himself. I am seeking the peace that only He can give.

Steve has encouraged me in ways that he can, my parents have sent words of encouragement in time of need, but I realize that though my family is a gift that often only God is enough, that only God can quench the thirsting soul. I remember Psalm 77....I remembered two words "cannot speak". David tells of a period in his life where he is so overwhelmed his soul refused to be comforted. Lately I am living this battle ground. I am asking God to give me grace, to give me peace, to remember HE is in charge.

I often wonder why the wicked do prosper? What of the concept sowing and reaping?

I know God is telling me to rest. I think God wants me to look beyond the trees. To see God not in something, but to see God when there is nothing.

God, please give me a miracle. Please show me the hope that only you can give.

No comments: