Monday, April 5, 2010

Who's Walking Whom?

With spring here, Naomi and I have been walking. (Zeke is still in leash-training). I love walking with her. Sometimes she challenges me and makes me walk faster. Sometimes she makes me stop so she can smell every other dogs pee on the way. It's been good because walking is "our time". Zeke is so young he consumes so much of us at home.

They say sometimes the dog walks us. Naomi is much like that. She pulls me every which way and I am often trying to get her back on course. I have a course I want to take, a speed I want to go, a direction I am headed....but Naomi often has other plans. After our first walk my arms hurt from all the pulling. I often have to remind her who is boss!

I think the Lord is that way with me. He wants to lead me and instead I have my own agenda. I pull along the way and insist we stop where I want to stop. Naomi is independent, and I often act the same way. I want to go a different path and the Lord knows exactly where we are headed, but I fight it at times. How easy a walk through life would be if we would do so submissively. Letting God lead us down the road, stopping where He sees fit. Sometimes as humans we want to take things in our own hands and go the path WE choose. If we allow him to lead us, though at times through puddles, up hills, down hills, crossing heavily trafficked roads....we would see the blessings He has in store.

No comments: